Sunday, March 11, 2012

Jerusalem, Jerusalem

Sunday morning Jordanian Time
The hotel was amazing. When I walked in, nothing worked. No electricity. No air conditioner. I saw a lighted slot on the wall, and I thought perhaps there was something I had to do, but I couldn't figure it out. So I called the desk, and found out you have to put the key card in the slot and it turns the electricity on. When you take it out, it goes off. What a country. Two of the ladies saw the minibar in their room -- no alcoholic beverages were in it -- and they thought it was provided for them. So they helped themselves to water, Sprite, Snickers, Twix, and found out the hard way that nothing is free in this country. $22 later, they realized their mistake. What a country.

Headed to Mt. Nebo, the place where Moses looked over into the Promised Land in Dt. 34. It is very strange waking up on Sunday morning and not preparing for church. I miss my church family, and I miss Sonya a lot. By the way, I hope you moved your clocks forward an hour yesterday or you will be missing your church family, too. We heard last night that Israel bombed the Gaza Strip and 15 Palestinians were killed. While we are a long way from the Gaza Strip, we passed close to the area on Friday as we headed into Jordan. The people in Jordan are extraordinary -- friendly, courteous, gracious.

Our guide, Dauod, pronounced David, saw that I had tootsie rolls, and became my instant friend. He took several of them out of my bag, and then he came back for more. On the last stop of the day, I put my last one on his seat and he announced to everyone that I had his back. He then wanted to know if I had more. I thought I did have some in my suitcase and told him I would give him more today. Sadly, I find that I left them on the bus in Israel. Well, I don't think they still offer human sacrifices at Mt. Nebo. If I don't make it back, please take care of my family. Just kidding.

Fortunately, I found some tootsie rolls in my backpack and took them to David. He was happy, so I made it back from Mt. Nebo. So far, this has been one of the more emotional stops for me. Literally I was overcome as I thought of all Moses had been through. 120 years old and still healthy and strong, and God takes him to the top of the mountain and shows him the entire Promised Land. We could only see a little part of the area because of the haze, but even if it had been clear, we could not have seen it all. God enabled him miraculously to see all the way to the Mediterranean Sea. Amazing. What did he think as he stood there? Did he beg God to allow him to continue on? Did he cry out for mercy and forgiveness? Or did he say thank you for the opportunity to see it all? As I stood there, my human mind could not comprehend what he must have gone through. God, I've led these people for all of these years. I put up with all of their complaints and rebellions. God I deserve to go more than they do. And as I prayed on top of the mountain, I realized that as good as going into the Promised Land would have been, Moses was taken to a far better place. Relieved of the responsibility of leadership, he was granted the greatest gift of all. Where before he spoke with God face to face as a friend, now he would live in his presence forevermore. Thank you, God, for your gentle grace that gives us more than all we could ask or imagine.

6:00 p.m. Jerusalem Time
Yes, we are in Jerusalem. What a blessing. We went to Mt. Nebo (see above) and then to St. George's monastery where they found an amazing mosaic buried under the sand so that it wouldn't be destroyed. They also had a mosaic map on the floor of the monastery that is the oldest existing map dating back to the 6th century. The significance of the map is that it provided the locations to some previously unknown cities.

Then we went to a place where they make the mosaics. Such amazing craftmanship. Some of the work is done on Ostrich eggs. They literally grind the tile into powder and glue it on with things like toothpicks. Beautiful craftsmanship. Yes, dear, I bought you some mosaic tiles for the table you are making. On the way back to Israel, we passed mountains of lavender stone which they used to dye garments. David was kind enough to stop the bus so that we could all go out and pick up some rocks. I'm sure the locals think we are nuts. It is unbelievable, but we passed by fields of banana trees, eggplant, tomatoes, squash, zucchini, etc. All kinds of fruit and vegetables. However, it all grows in one strip of land near the Jordanian border and it provides all of those things for the entire country. The rest of the country is too dry to grow much. Crossing the border was much easier going into Israel which really surprised me. They did not even check our luggage as they had done going into Jordan.

Shimon, our Israeli guide was waiting for us at the terminal. We climbed onto the bus and headed across the country towards Jerusalem to the Mt. of Olives. We took our group photo there, and Pat put me on the camel for the photo. Two camel rides in one trip. How crazy is that. We looked out over the city as our guide described the awesome sight that was before us. The Dome of the Rock/Al Aqsa mosque, the Eastern wall. It was all breathtaking. I cannot wait to actually go there. Then we went down to the Garden of Gethsemane. Shimon knows the owners well, so we were allowed to go into the private garden. There we read scripture and sang, "In the Garden." This was the overwhelming moment -- even more than Mt. Nebo. To think about our Savior coming to pray in such agony, and his disciples could not even stay awake. How much like them a I? are you? Could we watch and wait for Him?

The trip to the hotel was an interesting one. On the way in and the way out, we drove by the wall that separates the Palestinian side from the Israeli side. It is a block wall topped with barbed wire elevated above the road. Some Palestinian boys were on the wall and began throwing rocks at the bus. Fortunately only one of the boys hit the bus and did no damage. Such hatred is taught and caught but it is not inborn. Our hotel is tremendous. I wish I could show you the pictures. Dinner was magnificent. I tell myself each meal that I am going to go easy, but it is so hard. Oh well, with all the walking and only a small sandwich for lunch, maybe I will be okay. :)

No comments: