Wednesday, December 10, 2014

I Am Not Alone!

Colossians 4:7-18 – I Am Not Alone

Have you noticed this? We go all the way through this letter, and we just now get a hint at Paul’s circumstances. In v. 10, Paul speaks of “Aristarchus, my fellow prisoner.” In v. 18, he says, “Remember my chains.” Not only is Paul in prison, he is in chains within the prison. Life in prison has never been easy, but in Paul’s day, it just couldn’t get any worse. There were three possibilities: being chained to guards who weren’t very nice (even though we know that Paul considered this an open door for the gospel); chained in a deep, dark hole with rats and mud and a smell that would just about kill you; or house arrest – still under guard but under better conditions. Since Paul had access to his friends, this was the most likely scenario, but had it not been for his friends, life would have been impossible.

My point? Paul is not alone! I wonder if he ever had those moments when he felt like he was the only one going through these difficult times. I know that I do. As a pastor, there are times when it seems that no one else cares – that you are standing on a deserted island and nothing you do makes a difference. But as I read this passage, I heard God speaking through His word: "Paul is not alone, and neither are you!" For Paul, there was Tychicus, Onesimus, Aristarchus, Mark, Jesus/Justus, Epaphras, Luke, and Demas. Each of them, no doubt, served alongside the apostle, helping him but also being helped. For me it is my sweet wife, Sonya, and my daughters, Jennifer and Ashley, and their husbands, Rob and Jon, and their daughters, Hayes and Lucy. These are my biggest supporters, critics (in a good way), and cheerleaders who keep me going and keep me grounded. There is also my dear friend, Mark, who has listened to almost all of my struggles in the ministry for over 25 years. There is Jimmy and Mary who have been a blessing by simply opening their homes and hearts to me time and time again. There are dear friends right here at Southside who actually want to spend time with us – just because. And countless others that encourage and help me along the way. My prayer is that in some fashion, I have helped them, too. Good people. Praying people. Loving people. WE all need them. Paul was not alone. I am not alone. And YOU are not alone!

No comments: