Thursday, December 4, 2014

Keep on Praying!

Colossians 4:2 – Keep on Praying!

Continue earnestly in prayer!  What a thought. Even this morning as I began this quiet time, I dashed off a few words of prayer: “God, speak to me today.” Then I read this verse, and the Holy Spirit convicted me – this was not earnest prayer. No thought. No passion. Just what I was supposed to do. So I stopped right then and confessed my sin of passionless prayer. I begged God to speak to my heart during my quiet time and to give me a day filled with a heart-felt desire to continue earnestly in prayer. No more going through the motions because there are so many needs to pray about and so many things for which to be grateful.

And that’s how Paul continues – being vigilant in prayer with thanksgiving. Have you ever thought about being vigilant in prayer? I cannot say that I have ever gone through my day “looking for” things to pray about. Things that need my prayer. Most of the time I just let things come to me – people mention a need and I pray. I talk to someone who asks and I pray. Think of how it would change our lives if we were to be constantly on the lookout for people who need our prayer. NO more just praying when the thought hits you but aggressively, vigilantly watching for things that need prayer and then praying. And doing it all with a grateful heart: grateful for the privilege and power of prayer; grateful for the opportunities to pray; grateful for a God who hears and responds to our prayers; and yes, grateful for the very answers He sends our way.
 
Just yesterday I ran into a man that had come to our church on numerous occasions needing some financial assistance. He and his family had lost their home and were living in a motel room. He had no job and could find no help from the community agencies. As we ministered to him on each of these occasions, I encouraged him to pray and trust God. He came up to me and told me that he had remembered those words and kept on praying. Now he has a good job and is living in a house and his needs are being met. Praise the Lord! And thank you, God, for earnest prayer!

No comments: