Wednesday, May 6, 2015

A Good Work!

1 Timothy 3:1-7 - A Good Work!

Qualifications are important, aren’t they? You wouldn’t want a person performing surgery on you if they had never been to medical school, would you? I will never forget the day that I went to a doctor for the first time in a small Louisiana town. I just happened to be in the room where he was displaying his diploma. He had received his medical degree from the School of Agriculture and Mechanics. I was a little concerned until I found out that was the official name of LSU.

Remember, I mentioned some time back that Paul had used a series of faithful saying in his writing? Here is the next one: “If a man desires the position of a bishop, he desires a good work.” First, let’s define the term bishop. This was not the office in the Catholic Church. The word is literally “overseer.” In essence, this man was given the responsibility to lead the church, to guide it forward in the advancement of its mission, and to oversee every aspect of its existence. We call this man the pastor of the church today. Simply put, if a man desires this position, he desires a good thing.

Paul used two different words for “desire” in this verse to explain the heart of a pastor’s call. The first means “to reach out after,” describing external action, not internal motivation. In other words, he does everything he can to attain this goal. The second word means “a strong passion,” an inward desire that springs from genuine love and commitment. Taken together, these two words describe the type of man that belongs in the ministry: one who outwardly pursues the task of ministry because he is driven by a strong internal desire. When I was called into the ministry, my pastor told me that if I could do anything else in life and be happy, then the ministry wasn’t for me. I will tell you this: he was right. I tried to do other things, but nothing filled me with satisfaction like doing the work of the ministry.

It’s good to want to serve in this capacity. That’s what Paul said. But the man who chooses this path must meet certain qualifications first. What are those qualifications? Paul said that they must be obedient in observable behavior. In other words, Christians and non-Christians should see a certain level of commitment to God and to the church in his lifestyle. Without that commitment to live for Jesus and for His people, the pastor will never survive. There are too many internal stressors and external pressures that will cause him to throw up his hands and find another line of work if he doesn’t have this passion.

I must admit that I have seen many godly men do this very thing – give up on the work of ministry. I will also admit that there have been times when I have been tempted, but through those times, God has provided renewal and strength as He reminded me of the calling He has placed on my life. It is a “good work,” but it is not an easy one. Always remember that truth!

No comments: