Monday, May 11, 2015

Qualifications - Pt. 2

1 Timothy 3:2b - Qualifications Pt. 2

Qualifications for ministry? I think there is only one: blameless. As I stated last week, we aren't talking about sinless perfection. Paul meant that any accusations that might be thrown at the pastor wouldn't stick. Yes, he might/will make mistakes, but his character must be impeachable.
What followed in these verses was a word picture of what this looks like. We dealt with the "husband of one wife" issue, so I will not go back over that. But Paul then said that a blameless man is temperate. A literal translation of this word could be "wineless." Now understand, I wish that God had said that all of His people should stay away from all alcoholic beverages, but He didn't. I think that the only way that any person in our society can be sure never to become an addict is to never take the first drink. Having said that, God did not command, "Thou shalt not drink alcohol." But He did say, through Paul, that the pastor should be wineless. Why? Because the pastor must be able to think clearly at all times. He cannot afford to become inebriated and make poor or rash decisions. He must be a man with complete self-control, so anything that would decrease inhibitions would be prohibited. In essence, the pastor must never allow himself to become controlled by any substances that could inhibit clear thinking or cause him to act rashly. It really is a matter of self-restraint because a man who cannot control his own drives and urges won't be able to effectively lead the church. A leader in the church must have a sense of self-mastery and accountability. So you see, the word includes more than a caution against the use of alcohol and drugs.

In fact, it is the same word picture Paul painted with the qualification of being  sober-minded. The word literally means disciplined. The minister must know how to properly order his priorities and be serious about spiritual matters -- not acting like a drunken idiot with no self control. With all that he has to do, the minister must be able to manage his life so that he would be seen to be trustworthy. Too often, we allow ourselves to become so busy that we cannot keep all of our commitments, and that must never happen.
I will never forget the time many years ago when I promised one of our senior adults that I would stop by and visit with him. I got busy and forgot all about the promise. Later, he told me that he had waited all day for me to come. My heart was broken when I saw how disappointed he was in me.

With all of this in mind, don't think that a pastor cannot have any fun. At this moment, I am having the time of my life watching my precious Lucy (granddaughter) eat Smarties with her Memama. Nothing could be better!

No comments: