Saturday, January 31, 2009

Belize--Day 8




Well, we finally made it back to Belize City and the hotel -- after LOTS of shopping. We first stopped at a corner market where they had all kinds of goodies. The woodworking over here is amazing. But in some of the shops, they are aware of just how amazing it is. I tried to get Gorman to buy me a wooden elephant for my birthday in August, but he wouldn't do it. It only cost $400 Belize which is $200 U.S. Sometimes you just can't understand people. I just realized that if I had told him it was for Sonya, he would probably have bought it. Just my luck. We have seen some amazing jewelry and artwork of all kinds. All I can say is that Brian and Kerry are going to have to carry some heavy suitcases back home.

We ate lunch at Cheers in Belmopan. I had a Hawaiian burger, a fantastic change from the chicken, beans, and rice we've had twice a day. Some of the team members were getting pretty tired of the same thing over and over again, but I really enjoyed it. However, I am looking forward to getting back to some good home cooking at Ruby Tuesday, O'Charleys, Cracker Barrel, etc.

The Belizean people are very talented. Most of the boys at the school can play guitar. After the first day back, they really got into the singing during the devotion time. It was fun watching some of them sing and pretend to sing. This morning, I made a point of talking to each of the five boys that made a profession of faith to remind them how important it would be to pray, read their Bibles, and truly worship. So please remember to pray for Brandon, Travis, Reymundo, Winfield, and Matthew. Matthew started the week without a smile on his face. It was hard to get him to even respond to us. But Thursday, Friday, and this morning, he was laughing, talking, taking our cameras and making pictures. He was a different young man. Reymundo was really under conviction last night before he gave in to Christ's gentle tug on his heart. My heart was full seeing these young men come forward. Ralston, the principal of the school, and his lovely wife Iona and their beautiful little boy Stefan were there last night. I promised him that our church would continue to pray for his family and the school, so please put them on your prayer list.

It is cloudy, rainy, and 70 degrees today with a nice ocean breeze. We have enjoyed it immensely. The hotel is nice enough. Of course you have to imprint your credit card to get a remote control for the television. Ordinarily I would just get up and punch the buttons, but our television has no buttons.

Lyle drove us by the U.S. embassy in Belize. It is an amazing structure. The guard at the residential compound didn't like us taking pictures, so he urged us to move on.

Things are good as we wrap up this week. Please pray for our safety as we travel. We all look forward to seeing you soon. I want to take a few lines to say thank you to a great team of people who worked hard and well together. To Bro. Berry, thank you, Sarge, for keeping us on our toes and keeping things organized. Randy Smith -- thanks for being a great project manager. You worked us hard, but you made it enjoyable. To the rest of the team-- Betty, Ed, Nathalie, Lamar, Joyce, Brian, Amy, Kerry, Nikki, Terry, Sammy, David, Gorman, Ryan, Mark, and Greg -- you all made it a fantastic time of ministry. I couldn't have asked to be part of a better team. I've enjoyed writing this blog. I hope you have enjoyed reading it. Mrs. June, I probably won't continue a daily posting, but I will try to do better.

No comments: