Friday, January 23, 2015

Be Ready!


1 Thessalonians 5:1-2 – Be Ready!

These people knew it! They understood what Paul was writing because he had no doubt taught them these truths. Take note, pastor! If Paul teaches new converts the joy of looking for the rapture, we should, too. Even more than that, we can learn from just this one verse. Paul says, “I don’t need to tell you about the times and seasons.” In other words, you know that I am not going to set a date for all of this to happen. Isn’t it interesting how we try to do the very thing that the great apostle refused to do? I read an article a while back that said the world was coming to an end in September of this year. They even had the day, but I won’t even mention it. What I will mention is that I guarantee you – yes, I GUARANTEE you – that it will not happen on that day. First, I guarantee it because the Bible says that there are lots of years that have to pass by before we get a new heaven and a new earth. Now, I know that what they were scheduling for us was not the actual destruction of the earth. They were talking about the rapture, but even in that area I will give you a guarantee. How? Because the Bible says that not even Jesus knew the day. The Son of God chose to not know the day of His return, so do you think God is going to give that information to one of us? I don’t think so. That means that if someone sets a date for the rapture or the Second Coming of our Lord, you can bet that it will not happen then.

But to the point of Paul’s letter: there was no need to address the issue because these Thessalonican Christians were ready. They knew that the day of the Lord comes as a thief in the night. In other words, it will not be scheduled by us in advance. God knows; we don’t. Can you imagine this? Some guy wants to break into your house and steal all of your possessions, so what does he do? He calls you up and schedules the entire event. “I’m going to be in your neighborhood on Monday between the hours of 10 and 12 p.m. Would that be a good time for me to burglarize your home?” Uh, folks, if that happens, I’m going to make sure that I am sitting in my living room with one hand on my Glock and the other ready to dial 911. Can I get a witness?

Listen, what Paul is saying is that when it happens, no one will be expecting it. But true Christians are always ready. Looking eagerly for the day to come because we have been promised that he comes to take us to Paradise. Even so, Lord Jesus, come quickly!

No comments: