Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Saint or Sinner?

1 Thessalonians 4:1-8 – Saint or Sinner?

We are not what we once were, but we are also not what we are going to be. Paul tells us that God did not call us to uncleanness but to holiness. I listened to a message not long ago from a long-time minister of the gospel who placed a great deal of emphasis on the fact that we are all sinners and worth nothing. And he was talking about Christians – specifically the group of pastors that he was addressing. I think that maybe he was trying to get the point across that we were all as “bad” as he was. And folks, please don’t misunderstand. We are all sinners even after we become Christians, but sometimes I think that our perception of who we are often becomes the reality of what we do. Let me explain! I grew up being taught that Christians are sinners saved by grace. And that statement is true. However, the emphasis here is on the fact that we are sinners, and too many times, we use this as an excuse. “Well, I’m only human so I’m going to sin.” Yes, but we cannot be so casual about it that we allow that to become who we are. Twenty years ago (or so), I started thinking a little differently. Instead of a sinner saved by grace, I am a saint who sometimes sins. Do you see the difference? I have been saved by grace which makes me a saint, but sometimes I stumble into sin. The perception is just slightly different, but what a difference that perception makes. NO excuses. When I sin, I break the heart of God, and as His child, that breaks my heart.

Day by day, hour by hour, even minute by minute we are to be progressing toward holiness – being conformed to Jesus’ image. Some like to talk about holiness as being “set apart by God” and that is part of the meaning. Others say it just means that God has pronounced us clean through the shed blood of Jesus, and that is another statement of fact. But to Paul, it wasn’t all that the word means.

Look at our verses again. Paul says that we are to abound more and more (in love) and walk/live the way that we have been taught by him. We please God by doing so. That verse alone tells us that there is a behavioral element involved in holiness. And then he begins to lay it out for us. He talks about commandments and sanctification – the act of God pronouncing us holy that continues as an ongoing process. In what way? Abstain from sexual immorality. Our bodies are to be kept holy to honor God.

And look at v. 5. Our lives are supposed to demonstrate that we are different. We are not to live, act, or talk like the lost world around us. Be holy as God is holy. That is our calling.

No comments: