Friday, February 13, 2015

Walk Worthy!

2 Thessalonians 1:11-12 – Walk Worthy!

Living the Christian life – if only we could comprehend the importance of doing this: the importance of walking worthy; of fulfilling the good pleasure of His goodness; of doing the work of faith with His power. This whole concept is of vital importance to the church and the world.

As I’m writing this, my beloved state, the state of Alabama, has been pressured by the federal government to legalize gay marriages. In spite of the fact that the citizens have made their voices of opposition heard and the fact that our state convention declares that marriage is officially between a man and a woman and the fact that  our Chief Justice has sent out a ruling telling our probate judges not to give in to the pressure and issue licenses to same-sex couples, we have seen a number of gay marriages take place. I am heartbroken, and I have made my feelings on this issue known through my preaching, through social media, and every other format I can. It isn’t that I hate homosexuality ay more than any other sin. I stand against sexual immorality of every kind – homosexuality, adultery, bestiality. If the sexual relationship isn’t between a man and a woman that is married in the eyes of God, it is sin. Yes, I am brokenhearted and apprehensive because I cannot believe God’s judgment is very far away. Our cup of iniquity is full.


But what I am about to write may surprise you. My wife, Sonya, and I were discussing this topic at lunch. She made the statement, “God has to be more upset over Christians not living the Christian life than He is at lost people acting like lost people.” And I agree. Folks, it is our fault (and by “our” I mean Christians) that this is happening. We chose to stop being salt and light. Jesus told us that this was our responsibility, and by that He meant that we are to flavor our world with His grace and in doing so would have a preservative effect. But we have stopped walking worthy of our calling, and because of that, more lost people are behaving more “lostly” every day. Yes, our cup of iniquity is full, but we must take the blame upon ourselves and cry out in repentance before a Holy God. Only then will we do the work of faith with power. Only then will the name of the Lord Jesus Christ be glorified.

No comments: